"Winter" "Break"
After growing up in Massachusetts -- with a wood stove and, for many years, no insulation -- and later living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for a few years, I'm not sure I will ever think of this California season as winter. When one is used to sub-freezing temperatures for weeks on end, a view of green grass and ripening citrus fruit just doesn't say "winter." It says "rain," and it says "chilly out there," and it even says "hot tub season!" But winter? No.
Winter is this:
And this:
And this:
And this:
Mind you, I'm not complaining. I do like that my windshield wipers don't freeze to the windshield, and that I haven't shoveled out a car since the Reno Snowpocalypse of 2004. I don't mind the season; I just can't get my head around the label.
And what about "break"?
It's a similar case; the word is not inaccurate within some frames of reference, but within mine it simply doesn't apply, at least not as it did when I was an undergraduate student. I remember flying back to Massachusetts at the end of each fall term, sleeping on the airplane (and sleeping for much of the break itself). If I did any reading, it was novels, and writing meant letters to friends. Summer was similar, though with a bit less sleeping and a lot more letter writing and with summer jobs filling my days.
Now during break I do a little recreational reading, and I write to friends and family (and write here), but mostly I work. December means lots of letters of recommendation are due, I am prepping for two classes that start January 9th, and I'd love to get an article done and sent before then. At least one grant proposal is due in January, and a few conference proposal deadlines are coming up fast.
I'm not complaining about this, either. The flexible schedule works both ways -- I write and prep during break, but I can take a weekday off during the quarter if I want to, and I set my own daily schedule for more than half the year. I also love and value most of the work I get to do.
So, happy winter break -- even if it's not really winter here, and not really a break.
Winter is this:
And this:
And this:
And this:
Mind you, I'm not complaining. I do like that my windshield wipers don't freeze to the windshield, and that I haven't shoveled out a car since the Reno Snowpocalypse of 2004. I don't mind the season; I just can't get my head around the label.
And what about "break"?
It's a similar case; the word is not inaccurate within some frames of reference, but within mine it simply doesn't apply, at least not as it did when I was an undergraduate student. I remember flying back to Massachusetts at the end of each fall term, sleeping on the airplane (and sleeping for much of the break itself). If I did any reading, it was novels, and writing meant letters to friends. Summer was similar, though with a bit less sleeping and a lot more letter writing and with summer jobs filling my days.
Now during break I do a little recreational reading, and I write to friends and family (and write here), but mostly I work. December means lots of letters of recommendation are due, I am prepping for two classes that start January 9th, and I'd love to get an article done and sent before then. At least one grant proposal is due in January, and a few conference proposal deadlines are coming up fast.
I'm not complaining about this, either. The flexible schedule works both ways -- I write and prep during break, but I can take a weekday off during the quarter if I want to, and I set my own daily schedule for more than half the year. I also love and value most of the work I get to do.
So, happy winter break -- even if it's not really winter here, and not really a break.





I do hope you get some rest amid all the work. Winter "break" for me means lots to do at church, so it's also busy though not so stressful. What are you teaching winter term? I have online Sci Wri again, which I enjoy. Might be the last time.
ReplyDeleteI have 11 (rhetoric of popular science) and 220 (grad seminar on genre theory). And I will rest, too -- the lessons of the summer (bronchitis verging on pneumonia) are still with me.
DeleteAre you considering retiring for real? Or is OSU saying you can't keep teaching? Or maybe a bit of both?