Rain
Yesterday at the cafe I met a newly-arrived Bostonian who moved to Davis a week ago. I was wearing trousers, a long-sleeved shirt, two pairs of socks, a sweatshirt, a scarf, and a hat. She was wearing the same, minus the extra layer. This is how I learned that I am adapting to California weather: I was cold, and she was rejoicing in being able to bicycle in December in balmy 50 degree rain.
Yesterday I also came home from lunch with three umbrellas. I had walked to the cafe with the big green one, lamenting that I had lost my big gay* umbrella and my bell-shaped clear one with the colored polka dots. Umbrellas come and go -- we have an adorable yellow one with a duck-head handle that Orhan found once -- and I figured someone, somewhere was enjoying those I had lost. Still, I liked both of them, so when I saw a clear one for sale later in the day, I got it. Ten minutes later, walking into the restaurant where I was meeting Orhan and the dudes for lunch, I saw my big gay umbrella, waiting for me in the umbrella stand where I had apparently left it a month ago.
(*Because it is rainbow colored, hence fitting both definitions of gay.)
This is what passes for excitement during finals week.
And now, back to the reading. I have finished with the final blogs from UWP 18, and now get to do the first pass on the article drafts written by students in UWP 120.
Yesterday I also came home from lunch with three umbrellas. I had walked to the cafe with the big green one, lamenting that I had lost my big gay* umbrella and my bell-shaped clear one with the colored polka dots. Umbrellas come and go -- we have an adorable yellow one with a duck-head handle that Orhan found once -- and I figured someone, somewhere was enjoying those I had lost. Still, I liked both of them, so when I saw a clear one for sale later in the day, I got it. Ten minutes later, walking into the restaurant where I was meeting Orhan and the dudes for lunch, I saw my big gay umbrella, waiting for me in the umbrella stand where I had apparently left it a month ago.
(*Because it is rainbow colored, hence fitting both definitions of gay.)
This is what passes for excitement during finals week.
And now, back to the reading. I have finished with the final blogs from UWP 18, and now get to do the first pass on the article drafts written by students in UWP 120.

Comments
Post a Comment