I have found my level in Turkish
It involves muppets.
Four years ago, Orhan gave me the Rosetta Stone set for Turkish and I began studying it with at least one lesson per day. Since December 2012 I have done many Rosetta Stone lessons, been to Turkey, found and worked my way through the entire Duo Lingo Türkçe tree, and gotten comfortable with the fact that some words will go on for a very very long time.
What I haven't done is get to where I can have a Turkish conversation, and this frustrates me. After four years, I feel like I should be further along. I remind myself that I have a lot of other things happening, that I have only been to Turkey once, that Turkish doesn't settle as naturally into my brain as an Indo-European language would. Even so, I have often felt frustration.
No more. I have found my level, the level at which I can (mostly) understand what is being said and finally feel some sense of mastery, some sense of accomplishment. I'd like to introduce you to my new Turkish teachers: Vanilya and Suzi.
They speak clearly, they use common words I am likely to know, they telegraph the meaning of their words with their actions, they provide subtitles so I can read the Turkish at the same time that I listen, and... well, just watch it. If you want to know what's on the music player, jump to 1:15. You'll get it, even if you don't know a word of Turkish.
The best part? There's more -- so much more! Once I have learned all the words to "Yeni Yıl" I will have lots more to enjoy, from Doğum Günü Şarkısı...
...to Otobüsün Tekeri Dönüyor.
Four years ago, Orhan gave me the Rosetta Stone set for Turkish and I began studying it with at least one lesson per day. Since December 2012 I have done many Rosetta Stone lessons, been to Turkey, found and worked my way through the entire Duo Lingo Türkçe tree, and gotten comfortable with the fact that some words will go on for a very very long time.
What I haven't done is get to where I can have a Turkish conversation, and this frustrates me. After four years, I feel like I should be further along. I remind myself that I have a lot of other things happening, that I have only been to Turkey once, that Turkish doesn't settle as naturally into my brain as an Indo-European language would. Even so, I have often felt frustration.
No more. I have found my level, the level at which I can (mostly) understand what is being said and finally feel some sense of mastery, some sense of accomplishment. I'd like to introduce you to my new Turkish teachers: Vanilya and Suzi.
They speak clearly, they use common words I am likely to know, they telegraph the meaning of their words with their actions, they provide subtitles so I can read the Turkish at the same time that I listen, and... well, just watch it. If you want to know what's on the music player, jump to 1:15. You'll get it, even if you don't know a word of Turkish.
The best part? There's more -- so much more! Once I have learned all the words to "Yeni Yıl" I will have lots more to enjoy, from Doğum Günü Şarkısı...
I will inform you all of the date for my recital. I am torn between performing "Baş Omuz Diz ve Ayak" and the more challenging, but within my scope, "Parla, Parla, Yıldızcık."



Comments
Post a Comment