Happy Solstice!
And all the other midwinter celebrations of light coming back.
For me, winter break means time to work on some writing and to prep next quarter's classes.
First I get to finish up fall quarter, which means grading, which for UWP 120 means reading final papers, and for UWP 18 means reviewing pieces I have seen many times in draft forms, verifying final changes, and entering grades. (This is one of the advantages of teaching a writing class -- students write many drafts, so by the end of the quarter there are very few surprises.)
The papers for UWP 120 will take closer attention because I haven't seen as many drafts, and because I expect that students will have written a lot since I last saw their pieces. I'll also make more extensive feedback notes than normal for final pieces, since most of the students plan to revise their drafts into articles to submit to Xchanges, an academic journal that publishes undergraduate and graduate student writing.
Grades are due on Saturday, after which I can start planning for UWP 11 and 220 in January. Meanwhile, back to the reading.
For me, winter break means time to work on some writing and to prep next quarter's classes.
First I get to finish up fall quarter, which means grading, which for UWP 120 means reading final papers, and for UWP 18 means reviewing pieces I have seen many times in draft forms, verifying final changes, and entering grades. (This is one of the advantages of teaching a writing class -- students write many drafts, so by the end of the quarter there are very few surprises.)
The papers for UWP 120 will take closer attention because I haven't seen as many drafts, and because I expect that students will have written a lot since I last saw their pieces. I'll also make more extensive feedback notes than normal for final pieces, since most of the students plan to revise their drafts into articles to submit to Xchanges, an academic journal that publishes undergraduate and graduate student writing.
Grades are due on Saturday, after which I can start planning for UWP 11 and 220 in January. Meanwhile, back to the reading.

Comments
Post a Comment