Some architectural comments

Some Vancouver locals call it The Rainy City, or Raincouver. I call it the City of Balconies. The city has extremely high population density, achieved in part by having lots of high-rise residential buildings -- and by lots, I mean all over the place, with more going up all the time if the number of cranes and construction sites are any indication.

This is part of downtown Vancouver:


And this is the view from our hotel window, out in Burnaby (part of the metro area):


Some of the buildings are fairly bland. Some I like because they are reflective, and I enjoy taking pictures of things reflected at the scale of an entire building, especially other buildings.







Some of the buildings were lovely and unique. We saw the Woodward's Building from several angles, starting with noticing its rooftop grove poking up from behind another building:


When we got closer, we saw the lovely exoskeleton:


It turns out the building was torn down and rebuilt just a few years ago. This page has a fantastic time lapse of the project.

Here's someone else's picture from below, and here it is from above:



Unlike the Woodward's Building, which looks old but is not, the Carter-Cotton Building has been there since 1908:



The Canada Place building was also interesting, mainly because of its resemblance to a cruise ship.




The Maritime Museum building is mainly interesting because of why it was built this way, which I'll talk about in another post:


The science museum (which we did not go to) is a huge silver golf ball that lights up at night:


This building is just fun, though not fun enough to be famous enough for me to find it easily online:



Possibly the coolest building, at least judging by the roof, is the convention center, appearing in this picture to  be a large, yellow-green meadow:


Here it is from across the water:


According to the center's site, it's six acres and has over 400,000 indigenous plants and grasses, AND four beehives. Maybe Orhan can extend his farming efforts to our roof.

Comments

  1. Thank you. I love the pictures of architecture. Never been to Vancouver, and I didn't realize it had so much modernity. Did you get the fancy tea? I used to work for the Amer Inst of Arch. in DC and then for an arch. firm in Portland, back in the days of typing on mimeograph stencils, hand cranking out the copies, hand collating the specs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did not get the fancy tea. I forgot about the fancy tea.

    What do you think of the wiggly building?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UWP 018: Style in the what?

Moray Coast, Day 2: Findhorn to Hopeman part 2