Ourdoor art in Vancouver
Orhan and I (and Dev, of course) take off tomorrow to walk the Moray Coast Trail. Before we take off, here are some observations about outdoor art in Vancouver,
---
Vancouver has joined two art movements I have been enjoying in Davis: Putting painted pianos on the street, and having local artists paint utility boxes. (I'll write about the utility boxes separately, since I think they are interesting enough for a separate post where I can compare different places.)
The first piano we encountered was still covered, but two more -- one outside the science center and one outside the aquarium -- were available to passersby to play, or for Dev to practice his octave stretch.
Vancouver is also rich in street mosaics, like these three in downtown:
And these five near the science center:
Also near the science center were a pair of gorgeous carved stumps...
...and some anxious-looking fish. Dev tried to help it gain perspective.
Meanwhile, there are some large sculptures downtown near Stanley Park, including Home By the Sea:
And also this, which looks a lot more like a home (and is closer to the water) but turns out to be art. not housing:
And this gorgeous piece in front of the aquarium:
Stanley Park also featured another kind of outdoor art:
Also, this peculiar monument to aerodynamics, or something like that:
Back downtown later in the day we saw what at first looked like it could be some truly fantastic graffiti, but turned out to be an official mural:
Dev was in awe, there and all over town.
---
Vancouver has joined two art movements I have been enjoying in Davis: Putting painted pianos on the street, and having local artists paint utility boxes. (I'll write about the utility boxes separately, since I think they are interesting enough for a separate post where I can compare different places.)
The first piano we encountered was still covered, but two more -- one outside the science center and one outside the aquarium -- were available to passersby to play, or for Dev to practice his octave stretch.
Vancouver is also rich in street mosaics, like these three in downtown:
And these five near the science center:
Also near the science center were a pair of gorgeous carved stumps...
...and some anxious-looking fish. Dev tried to help it gain perspective.
Meanwhile, there are some large sculptures downtown near Stanley Park, including Home By the Sea:
And also this, which looks a lot more like a home (and is closer to the water) but turns out to be art. not housing:
And this gorgeous piece in front of the aquarium:
Stanley Park also featured another kind of outdoor art:
Also, this peculiar monument to aerodynamics, or something like that:
Back downtown later in the day we saw what at first looked like it could be some truly fantastic graffiti, but turned out to be an official mural:
Dev was in awe, there and all over town.
























Comments
Post a Comment