Presents

Eli leaves for college next month, taking with him a new violin which he will play in the Carlton Orchestra. He and Orhan went to the violin shop a few weeks ago and he took home two instruments to try out. Yesterday Orhan and I went back to return one, trade in his old one, and finalize the purchase of the new one.

The shop was gorgeous, and while I don't have the skill to see the difference between the trade-in and the new violin, I look forward to hearing the difference in sound quality -- Orhan said it is noticeable even to a non-violinist.

I took a few pictures of the place, and of the violins. Their web site does a better job of showing the space than my pictures do, but here is Eli's old instrument:


And the new new one (closer to the camera) and the other one he tried out:


While Orhan talked with the shop folks I wandered around a bit with Dev and we admired some of the artwork (Dev being a major art fan).

This is the poster we were given as a thanks-for-buying-a-violin gift:


The other choice, which I didn't like as much:


Some sculptures:


Some... things?

Not art, strictly speaking, but Dev wouldn't have minded climbing in for a hobnob (or a hoedown  -- Dev is not completely clear on the difference between a violin and a fiddle):


Later we had lunch in Berkeley and I gave Orhan a present of his own.







I think he liked it.


Comments

  1. Yay for Dev and violins and art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too. I like the tractor and I like the blog. This is fun.

      Delete
    2. Sara, meet my mother, Claire. Mom, Sara is a friend and colleague who just retired from Oregon State University.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UWP 018: Style in the what?

Some architectural comments

Moray Coast, Day 2: Findhorn to Hopeman part 2