The shape of fall quarter
Classes started on Wednesday, and with them the middle-distance sprint that is the academic quarter. Below is a rundown of what I'll be doing between now and December 10 when grades are due.
Teaching
UWP 18: Style and the Essay. Twenty-five students, lots of writing to read and respond to.
UWP 120: Rhetorical Approaches to Science & Technology. Twelve students, and a brand-new class (not just to me; this is the first time it's being taught at all). I'll be working on materials for it, as well as responding to student work, all quarter.
Presenting at conferences
Conferences offer two kind of opportunities for academics. First, they let us test-drive ideas with a live audience of fellow scholars, getting their feedback before we commit the ideas to paper and attempt to publish them. Second, they let us hang out and talk shop with like-minded colleagues. Most academics (at least at a research-oriented place like UC Davis) are pretty specialized,
This fall I have two conferences with two different groups of fellow scholars.
In ten days at the ASBH (Association for the Study of Bioethics and Humanities) conference I'll be talking about the problems with, and alternatives to, the metaphor of "gene editing." I'll also be hanging out with people from a huge range of fields who are brought together by an interest in science and ethics. I haven't been to ASBH before, but I expect there will be a lot of conversations about our different disciplinary perspectives and how they can work together to support ethics in biology-related research.
Two weeks later I'll head to San Diego for the WSRL (Western States Rhetoric and Literacy) conference where I'll meet a group of fellow writing teachers and present on how I teach critical scientific literacy in UWP 11 each winter. I go to WSRL every year and know there will be lots of shop talk about writing programs and writing pedagogy.
Writing
Writing, writing, writing, writing, writing, writing. This includes meeting with my writing professor pals in Martinez (where we converge from three universities) every other weekend.
Going to meetings
Let's see.
There will be at least one UWP meeting that I will attend (another is scheduled for when I am in San Diego).
The Grade Change Committee, which I am chairing this year, will meet three times in Fall quarter and will review and vote on 60-100 petitions each time.
There will also be meetings with the bioethics folks in Davis, at Davis's medical campus in Sacramento, and in Berkeley.
I'll meet at least once with an undergraduate I'm mentoring.
I'll have and will have pre-quarter meetings with my winter 2017 TA team.
I'll also head out to the design center 5-10 times this quarter. I think there's also an Office of Research meeting related to that as well.
I may be part of a search committee or two (hiring people).
Probably there are other meetings I'm forgetting.
Having a life
Time with Orhan and friends. Maybe a trip to MN to see Eli at college. Staying in touch with other people too far away to visit.
Teaching
UWP 18: Style and the Essay. Twenty-five students, lots of writing to read and respond to.
UWP 120: Rhetorical Approaches to Science & Technology. Twelve students, and a brand-new class (not just to me; this is the first time it's being taught at all). I'll be working on materials for it, as well as responding to student work, all quarter.
Presenting at conferences
Conferences offer two kind of opportunities for academics. First, they let us test-drive ideas with a live audience of fellow scholars, getting their feedback before we commit the ideas to paper and attempt to publish them. Second, they let us hang out and talk shop with like-minded colleagues. Most academics (at least at a research-oriented place like UC Davis) are pretty specialized,
This fall I have two conferences with two different groups of fellow scholars.
In ten days at the ASBH (Association for the Study of Bioethics and Humanities) conference I'll be talking about the problems with, and alternatives to, the metaphor of "gene editing." I'll also be hanging out with people from a huge range of fields who are brought together by an interest in science and ethics. I haven't been to ASBH before, but I expect there will be a lot of conversations about our different disciplinary perspectives and how they can work together to support ethics in biology-related research.
Two weeks later I'll head to San Diego for the WSRL (Western States Rhetoric and Literacy) conference where I'll meet a group of fellow writing teachers and present on how I teach critical scientific literacy in UWP 11 each winter. I go to WSRL every year and know there will be lots of shop talk about writing programs and writing pedagogy.
Writing
Writing, writing, writing, writing, writing, writing. This includes meeting with my writing professor pals in Martinez (where we converge from three universities) every other weekend.
Going to meetings
Let's see.
There will be at least one UWP meeting that I will attend (another is scheduled for when I am in San Diego).
The Grade Change Committee, which I am chairing this year, will meet three times in Fall quarter and will review and vote on 60-100 petitions each time.
There will also be meetings with the bioethics folks in Davis, at Davis's medical campus in Sacramento, and in Berkeley.
I'll meet at least once with an undergraduate I'm mentoring.
I'll have and will have pre-quarter meetings with my winter 2017 TA team.
I'll also head out to the design center 5-10 times this quarter. I think there's also an Office of Research meeting related to that as well.
I may be part of a search committee or two (hiring people).
Probably there are other meetings I'm forgetting.
Having a life
Time with Orhan and friends. Maybe a trip to MN to see Eli at college. Staying in touch with other people too far away to visit.
Comments
Post a Comment