A Sappi, successful design idea
I wear a few hats, one of which is Co-Director of the UC Davis Center for Design in the Public Interest (DiPi), an endeavor that the Director (my friend and Design colleague Susan Verba) and I started using an internal UC Davis grant.
The grant paid for us to have reduced teaching loads, to hire a few people to help out, and to furnish a space on campus. (The space itself was provided courtesy of a former Dean after eight months of wrangling on our part.) For further funding, we're expected to get grants, and as of today we have brought in our first one: Sappi (a paper company) has a competition called "Ideas that Matter," and they decided that our idea -- helping patients at a rural CA clinic -- mattered to the tune of $18,825.
Among other things, the grant will pay printing costs for the patient-clinician materials we're developing.
Academic work tends to be pretty abstract (aside from teaching), so it's gratifying to know we're doing something that is going to help make patients' lives better and clinicians' work easier.
(Before you start thinking I can do design, please note that my role at DiPi is to write. I describe it more here.)
The grant paid for us to have reduced teaching loads, to hire a few people to help out, and to furnish a space on campus. (The space itself was provided courtesy of a former Dean after eight months of wrangling on our part.) For further funding, we're expected to get grants, and as of today we have brought in our first one: Sappi (a paper company) has a competition called "Ideas that Matter," and they decided that our idea -- helping patients at a rural CA clinic -- mattered to the tune of $18,825.
Among other things, the grant will pay printing costs for the patient-clinician materials we're developing.
Academic work tends to be pretty abstract (aside from teaching), so it's gratifying to know we're doing something that is going to help make patients' lives better and clinicians' work easier.
(Before you start thinking I can do design, please note that my role at DiPi is to write. I describe it more here.)

Comments
Post a Comment