Moray Coast, Day 2, part 3: A hat in Hopeman
Our first order of business after getting settled into our room was to pop across the street to Hopeman's Only Shop (and Post Office) in search of a hat. We found one, but it was the right size for a toddler. The shop keeper suggested making one out of newspaper, and after two days of sun beating on my head I was almost willing to consider it.
As it turned out, I didn't have to. We ate in our hotel, with a local couple the only other diners. Naturally, we got talking (probably prompted by my admiring Stephen's tattoos). We learned that Lynn and Stephen knew each other in school -- he was two years behind her, with her little sister -- and five years ago found themselves in love.
Lynn and Stephen learned that we were walking the coast, and that one of us was doing so in an unfortunate state of hatlessness.
And so I have a fine hat.
As it turned out, I didn't have to. We ate in our hotel, with a local couple the only other diners. Naturally, we got talking (probably prompted by my admiring Stephen's tattoos). We learned that Lynn and Stephen knew each other in school -- he was two years behind her, with her little sister -- and five years ago found themselves in love.
Lynn and Stephen learned that we were walking the coast, and that one of us was doing so in an unfortunate state of hatlessness.
And so I have a fine hat.


Comments
Post a Comment